Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Friendships

So my husband and I were asked to be on a panel for a Relief Society meeting and at first they asked us what kind of things we do to nurture our relationship with each other. I thought that sounded fun and kind of easy. My husband and I are really genuinely happy together. We definitely have our issues with each other but I think we'd both agree that we work them out pretty well and balance each other out nicely. In the end we both communicate pretty well with each other and aren't afraid to tell each other when either one has offended the other. BUT the Relief Society decided to change their panel and now wants us to focus on nurturing extended relationships like extended families and friends. This is an easy one for my hubby since he keeps in touch with so many people and calls them all on a regular basis. As for me, I've had GREAT friendships with few people and I rarely talk to any of them. I still cherish all of the friendships I have had and still have but I'm terrible at keeping in touch. I generally tend to push new friendships away and I generally feel comfortable being alone. That is until I have an emotional breakdown and need someone to talk to and have no one there because it'd be strange to call a friend who I haven't talked to in months to say "I feel like crying for no other reason than that I am a woman and I need a shoulder." And actually I am lucky because this very thing happened to me last weekend and I was able to call my sister-in-law and the reason I feel comfortable enough to call her is because my husband forces me to be good friends with her. Not that I don't completely love and need her friendship but because if it weren't for him constantly calling her and having us hang out together I would never do it myself because I'm a complete social retard.

Anyway, I thought I'd get on here and get some insight on what I might say tomorrow on "nurturing friendships" but this didn't help at all. It just reminded me that they at least asked the right person in inviting my better social half.

No comments:

Post a Comment