I think the reason I love the gym so much is it makes me feel like I still have control over my own body. It's my own. When I'm there I am nobody's milk machine, or cleaning appliance, or personal therapist. I am my own person. I can talk to people or ignore them without them chasing me around. I can be friendly or anti-social. I can work hard or take it easy. Whatever I want to do it's my time and I really really really like having my time. Even though I'm physically exhausted after I leave the gym my mind is rejuvenated. Even though there are mountains 10 minutes away and walking trails 1/2 a mile from my house, the gym is where I find my recluse, since it is the place that has childcare. Thank heaven for the gym!!
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Ode to the gym
I made it back to the gym this week. It was the first time since 3 weeks before I had the baby so it's been 4 months since I've seen the inside of a gym. That's the longest I've gone without going to a gym in over 10 years. I still ran on the treadmill of course BUT it felt sooooo good to get to the gym and see other humans other than the kids and do something other than run on my treadmill in my basement with the kids jumping up and down waving their hands in front of my face asking me why I can't hear them with my headphones on. I just gotta say the first time back in a spin class is tough but the second time back is just painful!!!! Owie. Oh, how I loath seated climbs!! Nonetheless, I got to go spinning this morning and then took a kickboxing class after. Did I mention I LOVE THE GYM?!? Today was especially fun because my spin class was full of middle aged (and older) men and women who go to the gym everyday but more for social reasons (and some health reasons) than for vanity. They are just real people. It reminds me a lot of the people back at the YMCA in Richmond. Plus it makes me feel really young. Of course that's until I go into the kickboxing class and I'm surrounded by a bunch of barbies. But for some reason it doesn't bother me. And for some reason plastic surgery looks more and more unappealing the more I see of it. Even though the 5% of us moms who haven't gone under the knife look exactly like a bunch of moms who haven't gone under the knife, it looks so much more beautiful to me than a bunch of un-naturally tight, augmented, leathery, extensioned women. This is not how I expected I'd feel. I imagined I'd start saving my allowances so I could beautify myself but luckily now I can save my pennies for less permanent and less hurty things like Disneyland or Hawaii or Paint for our new house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I call it my second home :) In fact, I spend more time at the gym during the day than I do at home. I hate going to the gym when it feels like a meat market. The early a.m. spinning class that I go to is full of middle-aged men and me. But they all do ironmans and stuff so they're in better shape than me. It's fun.
ReplyDelete